If you get bored of simple text messages in WhatsApp, you can format your text. The messenger allows you to use bold, italic, strikethrough or monospace as options – even underlining text is possible.
How to use commands for writing in italics, bold, strikethrough, monospace in WhatsApp on iPhone and Android
One way you can customize your messages is by using certain commands. You can do this for a single word or a longer text. Place the following characters in front of and at the end of the text you want to format:
- Bold: an asterisk ( * ). Example: *text*
- Italic: underscore ( _ ). Example: _text_
- Strikethrough: a tilde ( ~ ). Example: ~text~
- Monospace: three backticks ( reversed apostrophe, “` ). Example: “`text“` Depending on the keyboard of your smartphone, the backtick could be hidden. To find it, tap on the apostrophe ( ‘ ) and hold your finger there until more options are shown, including the backtick.
How to use shortcuts for writing in italics, bold, strikethrough, monospace in WhatsApp on iPhone and Android
If you can’t remember the commands, there’s also an alternative: you can use the shortcuts.
- On your Android phone: When you enter your text, tap and hold the part you want to format. In the menu, choose “bold” or “italic”. Tap on “more” (three dots) to see the options “strikethrough” and “monospace”.
- On your iPhone: When entering a text, tap and select the word(s) that you want to format. In the menu, tap on “B I U” and choose “bold”, “italic”, “strikethrough” or “monospace”.
How to underline a text in WhatsApp
In WhatsApp, there are no commands or options in the menu that you could use to underline a text. The only way to do this is by downloading the app “BlueWords – Text styles“. However, this only works for Android smartphones.