After a colonoscopy you should be careful with what you eat. As you probably already know from your doctor, you have to follow some rules before such a medical procedure. In this article we will explain, what you should know regarding food intake after the colonoscopy.
After a colonoscopy: Eat food, that makes you feel well
If your doctor advised you to eat or not to eat special food, follow these rules.
Since you as a patient have to fast for a longer period of time before the examination, you will probably feel very hungry after the colonoscopy. The good news: Immediately after the colonoscopy you may eat and drink anything you like.
Please keep in mind to restrain yourself especially right after the colonoscopy.
- In the run-up to the colonoscopy you will have to take a laxative in order to purge your intestines. Therefore, it is not advisable to start eating heavy or fatty food right after the procedure. Eat low-fat meals and foods, which are easy to digest.
- Air or carbon monoxide is blown into your intestines in the course of a colonoscopy. This procedure opens your intestinal walls and make them accessible for the optical examination. As a result, you will experience some flatulence. Refrain from eating any flatulent food.
- Due to the purge you have lost liquid, you need to refill afterwards. Drink tea, still water or juices low in acid, for example vegetable juice.
- Another effect of the procedure is a weakened intestinal flora. Eat yogurt in order to rebuild your intestinal flora. Prefer the natural version without sugar or fruit additive.
- In order to balance the salt depletion from the purge, don’t forget to add salt and spices to your meals.
Guidance for foods to eat after a colonoscopy
The following list will show you some foods you can eat after a colonoscopy.
- Soup: You will get a lot of liquid, vitamins and salt. Vegetable soup will fit the needs of your body best. Keep in mind to not add legumes, since they are causing flatulence.
- Pasta: Add a little amount of pasta to your soup in order to get some carbohydrates.
- Chicken: You can add low-fat chicken meat as well. This will improve the taste and keep you strong.
- Pudding: For your sweet tooth, pudding is perfect. It is low in fats and easy to digest.
- Sandwich: Top a piece of bread with low-fat ham or cheese. Use only small amounts of butter, if needed.
- Yogurt: Eat plain yogurt only. Add jam or honey in order to make it tastier.
Recovery after a colonoscopy
During the colonoscopy, your doctor will already be able to tell you the results. If a biopsy is needed, results will be available within some days. Following information is important for your recovery.
- For the colonoscopy you might receive sedatives. Therefore, you will feel tired for the rest of the day. Don’t drive a car or ride a bike afterwards.
- It will take some days for you to recover fully from this medicinal procedure. Meanwhile, you might suffer from diarrhea or flatulence. Don’t worry about that, this is very common.
- During this period of time, eat recommended food only.
- If your digestion and bowl movement is balanced again, feel free to eat, whatever you like.
Written by Sarah Winter
You might be also interested in: