When identifying plants, you can use apps on your smartphone. We will show you the best apps and tools to help you recognize the plants you see while hiking, biking or in your backyard.
- The database contains over 4100 common plants. These expand through the use of users.
- Simply photograph a part of the plant. After a short search time the result will be displayed.
- You cannot determine ornamental plants with it.
- Use a neutral background for the photos.
- After the determination, submit the result by tapping “Post”. The result will now be checked.
- Take a photo of leaves or a single flower to identify a certain plant.
- The algorithm scans the photo and helps you identify the plant or flower.
- After the determination you can read more about it.
- There are over 500,000 species in the searchable database.
The Leafsnap app was developed by the University of Maryland, the Smithsonian Institution and the Columbia University. It uses visual recognition software to identify plants and flowers. Leafsnap is available for free on Android and iOS.
- Recognize plants by using the visual recognition software within the app.
- Save your photos to your own plant reference library.
- Leafsnap also has a library of pre-saved high-resolution images.
- Record observations of plants and wildlife and add them to the app database.
- Share your photos with the community within the app to help you identify plants, flowers and wildlife.
Plantifier is a community-based app, which can help you identify plants by uploading an image and asking the users to identify it and answer any questions you may have. It is free for Android and iPhone.
To identify a plant you can use characteristics like size, leaf shape, flower color, form, or fragrance. Oftentimes it is helpful to use a guide book or app to help you recognize certain plants and flowers.
You can identify a shrub by looking at the shrub leaves, which are either simple or compound, and observe if they are growing opposite or alternately placed on the branch. To recognize a flower shrub, you should first look at the time of year, as some are early-blooming, while others bloom in late spring. Also notice the size of the flower, and it’s location.
First, you should take notice of the color, size, and shape of the flower. Also try to recognize the number of its petals and leaves. The location, whether it is in a sunny or shady place for example, may also help to identify the flower. Use books or mobile apps to assist you in the process.