Signal is known as a secure messenger, but there are also points of criticism regarding the app. We give you an overview of the advantages and disadvantages of the messenger.
Criticisms of Signal Messenger
Signal Messenger is very popular because the app takes data protection and privacy very seriously. More and more users are downloading the app, so the service has become a real WhatsApp alternative. Despite the many advantages, however, there are some criticisms.
- For example, you have to register with your phone number when installing Signal. This makes you uniquely identifiable.
- While this is the case for most chat apps, messengers like Threema show that it can be done differently. Here, an ID is created randomly, which does not allow any conclusions about your person.
- Some user data is also stored on the servers with the Signal PIN. This includes, for example, your name, as well as the contacts that you have added to Signal.
- The servers are located in the USA. This means that the company has to grant US authorities access to data.
- It is true that Signal does not have access to the message content thanks to end-to-end encryption. However, data such as the phone number can be passed on.
Advantages of Signal App: High data protection and privacy
Nevertheless, the messenger has many advantages compared to other services like WhatsApp.
- Signal is a non-profit foundation that is financed by donations. Profit is therefore not the main driving force behind the messenger.
- In addition to end-to-end encryption, which is also available on WhatsApp, the service is open source. This means that the app’s source code can be freely viewed. Any backdoors through which data can be collected can thus be ruled out.
- Furthermore, message histories are stored locally on the device and not on Signal’s servers. Access to this data by third parties is therefore not possible.