The Signal desktop app allows you to use many of the same functions as the smartphone app on your PC. We show you how to install the application.
How to install the Signal desktop app
If you want to use Signal on your PC, you need to pair the desktop app with your smartphone. Without the Signal smartphone app, you will not be able to use Signal for desktop.
- Download Signal
First, download Signal. The desktop app is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Start installation
Open the downloaded file and start the installation. Follow the instructions on screen. They will guide you through the process.
- Use QR Code for pairing
After successful installation, a QR code will appear. Using this code, you need to pair the Signal desktop app with your smartphone app.
- Go to Settings
To do this, go to “Settings” > “Paired devices” in the smartphone app and add a new device.
- Scan QR Code
Now scan the QR code and confirm that you want to pair the device.
- Assign a name for new device
In the desktop app, you can assign a name for the newly paired device. After that, click on “Complete pairing”. After that, your chats will be synchronized. This may take a short moment.
- Why messenger is not working?
If you take too long, the pairing will automatically cancel. In this case, simply start from the beginning.
Signal Messenger Desktop – Features
Signal Messenger for desktop is a bit less sophisticated than the smartphone app. However, you can use the program’s main features with the desktop app without any problems.
- You can exchange messages and send notes to yourself in the desktop app as usual.
- You can pin chats and also send self-deleting messages.
- Functions like deleting, archiving or muting also work, of course.
- Phone calls and video chats are also possible.
- Instead of the subdivision into photos, GIFs, files, contacts and the location, there is only the option to send files on the desktop.
- If you want to create a group, you have to do it in the smartphone app. There is no such option in the desktop version. However, created groups can be used as usual.
- Tip: You can use “Help” to display all working shortcuts that you can use to quickly navigate in Signal.
My name is Sandra Sporer. I’m a 27-year-old English Literature student with an interest in gaming, art, books (of course), cinema and history. My love for writing sparked my interest in journalism and I completed a one-year-internship at my local newspaper right after school. From 2018 onward I have been writing articles for CHIP, Focus, How2ForU and other websites.