Sidecar: Expand your Mac screen
Sidecar is a new feature from Apple that lets you use your iPad as a second screen for your Mac. Follow the step-by-step instructions to expand your desktop via your iPad. If the following steps don't work, look at the chapter below, and check if the system requirements are correct.
- Make sure you have a stable WLAN connection.
- Look for the AirPlay symbol in the menu bar and click on it.
- The name of your iPad should be listed there. Tap on it. Now you can use it as a second display.
- If you don't see the name of your iPad, open the Settings and click on "Sidecar".
- There you should see the category "Connect to:". Select your iPad from the list after clicking the blue arrow to the right of "Select Device".
- You can move your windows from one screen to another like you would when using a second monitor.
Necessary requirements to use Sidecar
In order to use Sidecar, your devices must meet some (system) requirements.
- You must be signed in with the same Apple ID on both your Mac and iPad.
- You have to activate two-factor authentication.
- You need macOS Catalina or later on your MacBook.
- You must have at least iPadOS 13 on your iPad.
- Both devices have to be close to each other, a maximum of 10 meters.
Written by Felix Gillhuber
You might be also interested in: