If your Mac screen doesn't offer enough room for all your windows, you can now expand that screen via Sidecar on your iPad. We show you how it works and what you have to consider:
Sidecar: Expand your Mac screen
Sidecar is a new feature from Apple that lets you use your iPad as a second screen for your Mac. Follow the step-by-step instructions to expand your desktop via your iPad. If the following steps don't work, look at the chapter below, and check if the system requirements are correct.
- Make sure you have a stable WLAN connection.
- Look for the AirPlay symbol in the menu bar and click on it.
- The name of your iPad should be listed there. Tap on it. Now you can use it as a second display.
- If you don't see the name of your iPad, open the Settings and click on "Sidecar".
- There you should see the category "Connect to:". Select your iPad from the list after clicking the blue arrow to the right of "Select Device".
- You can move your windows from one screen to another like you would when using a second monitor.
Necessary requirements to use Sidecar
In order to use Sidecar, your devices must meet some (system) requirements.
- You must be signed in with the same Apple ID on both your Mac and iPad.
- You have to activate two-factor authentication.
- You need macOS Catalina or later on your MacBook.
- You must have at least iPadOS 13 on your iPad.
- Both devices have to be close to each other, a maximum of 10 meters.
Written by Felix Gillhuber
You might be also interested in: