If you want to buy a computer, you are probably asking yourself if you should purchase a desktop PC or a laptop. Here’s a list of the advantages of desktop and notebook computers, to help you make a well-informed decision.
The advantages of a desktop PC
Desktop computers are stationary – meaning that you cannot carry them around. Unless you have an all-in-one computer, your desktop PC most probably consists of a tower case, a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse. Still, despite the lack of mobility, the desktop PC has some benefits:
- A desktop PC usually costs less than a laptop with the same specifications. In addition, you can buy a desktop PC starting at $400, while the starting price for a good laptop is often higher.
- Desktop PCs have more powerful processors and graphic cards. That’s what makes them very attractive to gamers. Of course, you can opt for a gaming laptop – but the price will be a lot higher.
- The display of a desktop PC is usually bigger. For common laptops that you find on the market, the biggest screen size is 17 inches. (But connecting an external monitor is possible on laptops, too.)
- Repairing and cleaning the desktop PC on the inside is easier. If you want to do the same with your notebook, you will probably have to let an expert do it (unless you are one yourself).
- If you have a desktop computer, you can use multiple internal drives, for more internal storage. Notebooks usually have a single internal drive. If you need more storage, you’ll have to use an external hard drive or replace the existing internal drive.
- You can easily upgrade a desktop computer, while most components in a laptop can’t be upgraded.
- Due to the possibility to repair, upgrade and dust them out, desktop PCs usually have a longer lifespan than notebooks.
Reasons to buy a laptop
Laptops are all-in-one devices that don’t need a separate monitor, keyboard or mouse to function. They are, therefore, portable – which is the main argument for buying one.
- Besides the fact that you can work on a laptop almost anywhere, you can also use it without it being constantly plugged in to AC power.
- A notebook consumes less electricity than a desktop computer.
- Laptops are light and take up less space than a desktop PC. If you have a small apartment, a small desk or no desk at all, a laptop should be the computer of your choice. It’s easy to store and you can use it even sitting on the couch or on the bed.
- If you’ve never set up a computer in your life, you’ll also be better off with a laptop. You don’t need cables and external hardware for a notebook, meaning that you can directly start using it.