This practical tip shows you how to take a screenshot on your MacBook.
How to take a screenshot of the whole screen
- To take a screenshot of the entire screen, press [Shift] + [cmd] + .
Take a screenshot of a section of the screen
- Press [Shift] + [cmd] + .
- Hold down the mouse button and use the crosshair cursor to select the area to capture. Then release the mouse button – the screenshot is taken.
Screenshot a single window or other screen components
If you want to take a screenshot of a single window, e.g. only your mail inbox or of a menu, e.g. the menu bar at the bottom of your screen, just to this:
- Press [Shift] + [cmd] + . Your cursor shifts to a crosshair.
- Press [Spacebar]. Your cursor shifts again to a camera symbol.
- Use the cursor symbol (camera) to select the part of the screen that should be photographed. Click once with the mouse button – the screenshot is taken.
Where are my screenshots saved?
- Normally, your screenshot is saved to your desktop as a .png.
- If you want to save it to your Clipboard, simply add Control (ctrl) to your screenshot combination, e.g. press [Shift]+[cmd]+[crtl]+.