To password protect a folder in Windows 10 you don’t need an expensive software. We show you two tools for managing password-protected folders.
Windows 10 – Password protect a folder via WinRar
WinRar is a popular file archiver software and pre-installed on a lot of systems, even though it’s the trial version in most cases. You can also use the program to password protect a folder of your choice. Just follow these steps after you’ve downloaded and installed the application for your operating system:
- Open WinRar. Now look for the folder you want to protect with a password.
- Right click on the file and a drop-down menu will appear. Choose the option “Add to archive…”
- The following window offers a lot of options. Here you will also find the possibility to add a password for the folder. Choose the option “Set password…“
- Enter and reenter the password. Now just click on “Ok“ and you will leave the password manager. After this step you have to click “Ok” in the first pop-up window to protect the archive with the set password.
- WinRar will now archive the folder and its content. To unzip the folder the password is necessary.
Easy password protection with 7-Zip
7-Zip is one of the most popular free archives and a powerful tool for managing password-protected folders. The process is similar to using WinRar. Don’t forget: You have to download and install the software before you can use 7-Zip.
- As in WinRar open the 7-Zip software and locate the folder.
- Right click on the folder and choose the option “ Add to archive…“ under 7-Zip.
- Locate the option “Encryption ”in the pop-up window. There you can set a password. To finish the process just click on ”Ok“.
How to password protect PDF files
Protecting PDF files is important. Especially documents with important information e.g. business reports are much safer with a password. It’s fairly easy to password protect PDF files.
- If you own a Acrobat DC subscription you can password protect the document directly in Adobe Acrobat. Simply open the PDF and navigate to File and then Protect Using Password.
- In the next window you can decide to set the password for “Viewing” or “Editing. Choose the one you need. Now type in and re-type the password and confirm with Apply.
- This is the easiest way to protect a PDF file. If you don’t own a subscription you have other ways available. You can either use an online service like Smallpdf or Microsoft Office.
How to password protect a Word document
Even a word document is easy to protect with a password. You need Microsoft Office or 365 for this solution. The following steps will help you through the process.
- Open the document in Microsoft Office or 365 and navigate to File. The next step is to select Info and then Protect Document. Now you will see the option Encrypt with a password. Select it.
- Type in and then re-type the password. Confirm and then save the file to protect the word document.
- Password protect a pdf with Microsoft Office: You even can protect a pdf in Microsoft Office or 365. Open Microsoft Office and the file you want to protect.
- Note: You cannot open a pdf in Microsoft Office. You have to export the original file (e.g. doc) to a pdf. Just open File, select Export and then “Create PDF/XPS”.
- Options for the export will now appear as a new window. There you use the Encrypt the document with a password option. Don’t forget to “Publish” the file to save it with a password.
How to password protect an Excel file
Any excel document can be protected with a password. It’s as easy as with any word document. As long as you have the software you can assign a password.
- After you opened the excel document you navigate to File and select Info. In the drop-down menu you will see the tab Protect Workbook. Select it.
- In the next step you have to select Encrypt with Password. Luckily the option is easy to spot. Navigate to “Password” and enter the password. Confirm it.
- Retype the password in “Reenter Password” and confirm it. Now the excel document ist protected and you can save it.
Written by Dominic Schmidt