Windows 10 - Password protect a folder via WinRar
WinRar is a popular file archiver software and pre-installed on a lot of systems, even though it's the trial version in most cases. You can also use the program to password protect a folder of your choice. Just follow these steps after you've downloaded and installed the application for your operating system:
- Open WinRar. Now look for the folder you want to protect with a password.
- Right click on the file and a drop-down menu will appear. Choose the option "Add to archive..."
- The following window offers a lot of options. Here you will also find the possibility to add a password for the folder. Choose the option "Set password..."
- Enter and reenter the password. Now just click on "Ok" and you will leave the password manager. After this step you have to click "Ok" in the first pop-up window to protect the archive with the set password.
- WinRar will now archive the folder and its content. To unzip the folder the password is necessary.
Easy password protection with 7-Zip
7-Zip is one of the most popular free archives and a powerful tool for managing password-protected folders. The process is similar to using WinRar. Don't forget: You have to download and install the software before you can use 7-Zip.
- As in WinRar open the 7-Zip software and locate the folder.
- Right click on the folder and choose the option " Add to archive..." under 7-Zip.
- Locate the option "Encryption "in the pop-up window. There you can set a password. To finish the process just click on "Ok".
Written by Dominic Schmidt