Making one’s Halloween pumpkin last longer: that’s probably what every carver wants. Unfortunately, like all other organic material, the pumpkin is ultimately doomed to decay. But there are some tricks to make your work of art last at least a little longer.
How to make your Halloween pumpkin last longer
The pumpkin is most durable when you dry it. However, this requires a little patience and foresighted action. A sledgehammer approach in the oven or the blazing sun is almost never crowned with success.
- After you harvested or bought the pumpkins in autumn, they should be stored in a warm and above all dry room for a few months. The most important thing is that the humidity in the room is not too high. A boiler room would be suitable for example. The temperature should be between 59 and 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Before that, clean the pumpkins thoroughly with warm water with a dash of dish soap in it. Let the pumpkins dry thoroughly. If you put some small holes in them, the liquid can drain better.
- Put the pumpkin in a net so that the air can get at it from all sides and hang the net on the ceiling, if possible. Ideally, each pumpkin should have its own net. If the pumpkins are to dry lying down, do not forget to turn them over regularly.
- Using the dried pumpkin you can carve the perfect Jack-o-lantern to which you then apply a layer of acrylic or paint spray. A Halloween pumpkin dried in this way may even last for several years.
The last minute method
If you use a fresh pumpkin for your carving, you can also extend its durability with a simple trick.
- Spray the pumpkin well from the in- and outside using acrylic or paint spray. Alternatively, you can use hair lacquer. In this case, you must spray the pumpkin every two to three days.
- No matter if you use paint spray or hair lacquer, make sure that it is completely dried before lighting a candle to put into your carved pumpkin. These kinds of compounds are often flammable.
- You can also use vaseline or beeswax to preserve your Halloween pumpkin for several weeks. This gives the pumpkin a nice shine.
- But: Even using these method, you will not get more than a maximum of three to four weeks out of a fresh carved pumpkin.