Do you want to install new fonts and typefaces to your Mac? We’ll show you how it works and how you can manage your fonts.
Install fonts and typefaces with a single double-click
Time needed: 2 minutes.
The easiest way to install a new font on your Mac is to open the font file directly.
- Locate the font you want to install
Locate the font in the Finder and double-click it to open it.
- Preview the font
Now you will see a preview window that shows a selection of the characters of the selected font. In the drop-down menu, select the font style – but this only affects the preview, not the installation.
- Check the status of the font
In the lower left corner of the window you can see the status of the font – in our case “Not installed”.
- Install the font
You can change this by clicking on “Install” in the lower right corner.
Conveniently install fonts and typefaces via the font collection
A somewhat more comfortable way to install new fonts is to go through the font collection. Here you have some additional options at your disposal.
- Open the font collection. To do this, go to the program folder and double-click Font Collection. Alternatively, you can open the font collection from the Launchpad.
- In the font collection, click on the small plus under the “Fonts” column (see figure).
- A dialog box opens where you select the desired font and install it by clicking “Open”.
Manage fonts and fonts in the font collection
With the font collection you have a tool at hand that can do more than display and install fonts and typefaces. Here you can organize fonts into groups or make certain fonts available to limited user groups – and of course installed fonts can also be deleted here again.
- To keep track of numerous fonts, it’s best to group your fonts together. Simply click on the small plus in the “Collection” column, enter a group name, and drag and drop fonts from the “Fonts” column.
- Depending on whether you selected “Computer” or one of the users in the “Collection” column in the upper area, the font in question is installed for all users or only the selected user. In this way, you make certain fonts available specifically to the various user groups.
- Using the font collection, you can remove fonts just as quickly as you installed them. Simply select the font you want to delete, press the [Del] key and confirm. Zack – the font is gone.
One more note: After installing new fonts, you should restart the application in which you want to use the fonts. This will ensure that all fonts are recognized correctly.