If you enjoy nature and want to know more about how to identify birds, there are many apps to help you with that. We will show you the best apps for Android and iPhone that can help you recognize bird calls.
Audubon Bird Guide
The Audubon Bird Guide offers you a free and complete overview of 800 species of North American birds. It can help you identify the birds you see and keep track of them. You can also use the app to find new birds. The app is available for Android and iPhone.
- Over 3,000 photos, eight hours of audio clips of bird songs and calls, range maps, and detailed text by bird experts
- Sightings feature, which lets you record the birds you see
- Post your own photos and share them with others
BirdsEye Bird Finding Guide
BirdsEye Bird Finding Guide is great if you are just beginning with bird watching or want to start to learn more about the birds you see. The free basic version gives you the 100 most common birds near you. With the paid version you will get more features to identify birds all over the world. The app is available for Android and iPhone.
- 100 most common birds near you with detailed information in the free version
- All countable species worldwide, seasonal data for all birds, recent sightings, and a tool for bird watching related trip planning in the paid version
- The paid subscription will also give you detailed information about rare and notable birds
eBird Mobile App
- Track your bird sightings with the exact location
- Export your bird sighting list to your phone
- Keep a digital birdwatching diary
Merlin Bird ID
The Merlin Bird ID app is a great tool to help you learn more about birds from all over the world. It uses A.I. deep learning to identify birds, which you can then see photos, hear calls, and get more information of. The free app is available for Android and iPhone.
- Identify birds you see on your hikes or in your backyard
- The app will show you birds that match your observations based on simple questions or pictures
- Merlin Bird ID contains photos, bird songs and calls, and identification tools for birds worldwide
The “Shazam for Birdsong” is a useful app to help you identify birds by their songs and calls. The BirdSong ID app is available for iPhone for $4.99.
- Audio reference library of 241 bird sounds created with recognition experts and biologists
- You do not need an internet connection to use the app, because all content will be downloaded to your phone
- Automatic recognition function to identify bird species by their sounds
In general, you can identify a bird by its size, shape, color, the length of its tail and beak. Furthermore, the songs and calls can help you recognize the kind of bird you are observing.
The best time to go bird watching is the early morning, as birds will be looking for food and will not yet be disturbed by many people or other animals.
Bird watching can be a low-cost activity, because you will not need any specific equipment. A good pair of binoculars is recommended to be able to observe and recognize birds, however, any additional equipment, like spotting scopes, camera gear, and outdoor attire, is entirely up to you.
Starting bird watching is fairly easy. You should get outside as much as possible and note down any birds you see and where you see them. If you want to structure your bird watching trips you can make a route plan before heading out. You can find information about where to find certain birds online. To identify the birds you see you can use various books or apps.