A computer often becomes very slow after being used for a long time. To speed up Windows 10, it is essential that you know the reasons and also identify how to speed up computer properly.
6 opportunities to speed up Windows 10
If you are annoyed with a slow running Windows 10 computer, we recommend you adhere to this guide to fasten up the system.
1. Deactivate the Startup of useless Programs to speed up computer
Several programs are running during startup, some of which you do not regularly need; nonetheless, they still utilize a massive chunk of the memory. Such programs make your PC sluggish. With Windows 10, you can deactivate the startup programs effortlessly. Adhere to the following steps:
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys simultaneously for the Task Manager Dialog box to pop up.
- On the Startup tab, choose the program not often employed plus hit the “Disable” button. Keep in mind that only one application can be disabled at a time.
2. Browser overload
The Internet browser might be the perpetrator, particularly if you have lost track of the number of tabs and windows you need to open. Every tab and window takes up processing power and memory, and with time that starts to slow down the computer.
- You can see a breakdown of tabs and extensions in the Task Manager via clicking on the arrow adjacent to the browser’s name.
- On the other hand, if you use Chrome, it features an integral task manager. Launch it by clicking on the menu button > More Tools > Task manager or by hitting Shift+Esc while utilizing Chrome.
If you discover that the browser is repeatedly making the computer to slug to a crawl, attempt another browser or become more aware of the number of windows and tabs you have open at a specific moment.
3. Investigate for Malware or Virus
Another possibility to resolve the Windows 10 slow startup issue, is to ensure that the PC isn’t infected by malware or a virus.
- To check for malware or a virus on the computer, Windows has an integrated tool: Windows Defender. You can use Windows Defender to run a full scan of your computer to inspect and eradicate the malware or virus on your PC.
- Apart from Windows Defender, you can use whichever third-party antivirus software, for example Avast.
If your computer is infected with a malware or virus, getting rid of it may speed up Windows 10.
4. Software and Driver Updates
Outdated software or drivers can also make your operating system run very slowly. Subsequently, to resolve the issue, make sure you regularly update all of your software and drivers. Microsoft releases updates regularly to fix bugs and improve your operating system performance.
- To update drivers, visit Microsoft’s authorized website or manufacturer endorsed websites to download the newest drivers.
- To install up to date software, you can as well go to its approved site to download the latest version and install it on your PC.
- Before installing any major updates, make sure to save and back up any personal data.
After each step is completed, reboot the computer and investigate if the problem has been resolved after the Windows update.
5. Shut down and restart the PC to speed up windows 10
Shut down the PC and restart it, doing this will clear out whichever surplus RAM usage cannot be cleared. It likewise ends procedures that might have initiated and are not anymore necessary; nonetheless, those continue running and slow the computer. It’s especially helpful if you keep your computer running for a long period of time without ever turning it off. If the Windows 10 PC has turned slow with time for no seeming cause, you might be amazed at how much more swiftly it will run whenever you do this.
6. Clean up your Run Disk
You can use Windows’ built-in Disk Cleanup utility to clear out temporary files accumulating on your computer. These can be image thumbnails, downloaded program files and offline webpages.
- Click the Windows menu and type ‘Disk Cleanup’ in the search bar
- You’ll get a choice of files you can choose to remove
- Mark the check box next to each option to select it
- Click ‘Clean up system Files’
- The Disk Cleanup feature will then calculate the amount of space you will save.
This is also a great way to delete files on your hard drive which you no longer need – don’t forget to start with your “Download” folder, as it tends to get cluttered with unnecessary data quickly.
We hope the methods above aid you to speed up computer, and if not, then it is recommended to conduct a new Windows 10 installation.