Closing your PayPal account is simple. Before doing so you should take care of a few things to prepare your account for deletion. We show you which preparations are necessary and what to do to delete your account.
How to delete a PayPal account
Before deleting your PayPal account, there are some things that you need to check. They are explained in detail in the following chapter. Once these things are taken care of, you can close your account. To do so, follow these steps:
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- In the upper right corner, click the cog wheel to open your account’s settings.
- Under “Account options”, click “Close your account” at the bottom of the page.
- If requested, provide your bank account number.
- Click “Close account”.
- Your account will be deleted. If you had any unused coupons or redemption codes, they will be deleted, too.
- Also, if you had any unpaid money requests, PayPal will automatically cancel them.
Things to check before you close your account
PayPal will let you close your account only under certain conditions – and there are also some things that we recommend you to do. Before deleting your account, take a look at this list:
- Withdraw all the money you have on your PayPal account.
- For security reasons, you should download a copy of your transaction history. To do this go to “Activity” > “Statements” and click “Download detailed statements”.
- You must pay off any outstanding balance.
- Check if there are any unsolved issues with your account. If needed, contact customer service and fix the issue. You can’t delete your account if there are unsolved issues.
- Check the email addresses connected to your PayPal account. If you have one that hasn’t been confirmed, remove it from your account.