Widgets are self-contained mini programs that you can, for example, display on your phone screen. They show useful information and give easy access to information from certain apps. The most common widget for most smartphone users is probably the clock widget that is usually displayed on the phone’s home screen by default. However, most apps offer widgets. They either display certain information at a glance or allow easy access to certain app functions. To use a widget, you usually have to select or enable it in the settings. The precise way to do it differs based on the device and/or program used.
How to add widgets on your iOS 14 iPhone
Apple prides itself on the ease of use of their products. This is no different when it comes to widgets. The method to add widgets is kept as simple and self-explanatory as possible.
On the iOS 14 home screen
Adding a widget to your home screen is very simple on your iOS device.
- Tap and hold an empty space on your phone’s home screen and wait until the apps jiggle
- Tap the “+” icon in the top left corner of the screen.
- A selection of all available widgets will now be displayed. Choose the widget you want, then select the widget size.
- Confirm with “Done”.
Lock screen widgets on iOS 14 iPhone
Adding a widget to your lock screen isn’t complicated either.
- Swipe right on your lock screen and tap “Edit” on the bottom of your screen.
- Find the widget you want to add and tap the green “+” icon next to the widget.
- Confirm with “Done”.
Countdown widget on the iPhone lock screen
If you’re working towards a deadline or waiting for a certain time or date, a countdown widget is useful. Even more so if you display it on your phone’s lock screen. That way, you don’t even have to unlock your phone to check how much time remains. One recommendable countdown app is simply called Countdown. It enables a variety of features:
- It allows you to create multiple countdowns as well as reminders in advance.
- You can also share your countdowns with family and friends.
- Using the iCloud also allows synching up and use Countdown on multiple devices.
The best widgets for iPhone
Of course, the perfect widgets for you depend on which apps or functions you use the most. However, there are some widgets that are useful for pretty much anyone:
- Currency: This widget is a very useful tool to convert prices from or into different currencies. Anyone who travels regularly should definitely consider getting this widget.
- Noted: Many of us use our phones to quickly note something down, be that a grocery list or a reminder to call somebody back. With a note widget, quickly noting something down becomes even more effortless and convenient. The Noted widget even allows you to record voice messages instead of typing out your notes.
- Fantastical: A calendar widget is always a useful tool and Fantastical offers even more functions than most calendar apps. Fantastical comes with 11 different widgets that showing everything from the day’s events up to a whole month’s view as well as detailed information about the upcoming appointment. The app also allows you to keep track of the weather forecast for a specific date.
- Batteries: The battery life of your phone is always displayed in the top right corner of your phone screen, so at first glance the Batteries widget might appear redundant. However, what makes this widget so useful is that it also shows the battery life of connected devices like air pods. Another plus: the widget comes preinstalled on your iPhone.
- Wi-Fi Widget: To check which Wi-Fi you are connected to, you have to navigate multiple screens. The Wi-Fi Widget puts an end to this, allowing you to quickly check and change your Wi-Fi.
How to add widgets to your iPad
The iPad also makes use of widgets. To add a new one, you first have to open you iPad’s “Today View” by swiping right from the left side of your screen. This works on the home screen as well as the lock screen.
- Once the “Today View” is opened, touch the home screen background until the apps begin to jiggle.
- Tap the “+” at the top of the screen.
- Choose the widget you want by either scrolling through them or using the search bar.
- Tap the widget to select it.
- Choose one of the available widget sizes. Different sizes display different information.
- Tap “Add Widget”, then confirm your selection with “Done”.
How to add widgets on Android devices
How exactly you add widgets on Android smartphones may differ depending on your device. At its core, what you have to do is call up the list of available widgets. From there, you can simply choose your widget by dragging and dropping it onto your home screen.
On the home screen
Time needed: 2 minutes.
Adding a widget on your Android’s home screen is simple. There are just a few easy steps:
- Tap & hold free space on your home screen
While on your home screen, tap and hold a free space on your screen.
- Tap the “Widget” symbol
On the bottom of your screen, the “Widget” symbol will appear. Tap it to open a list of all available widgets.
- Choose a widget you want
Choose the widget you want and select it by tapping and holding it.
- Drag & Drop the widget on the home screen
The list view will disappear. Now you can drag and drop the widget wherever you want it.
- Return to the home screen view
Once you have positioned it the way you want it, simply let go of the widget to return to the normal home screen view.
Your widget is now ready to be used.
Lock screen widgets Android
Adding widgets to your lock screen is not possible on every lock screen device. To see, if your phone has the feature, follow these steps:
- Go to your phone’s settings and look for the lock screen settings. On some devices, they can be found in the “Device” tab.
- If you can’t find the lock screen settings, your phone most likely does not support lock screen widgets. To make sure, try swiping the clock on your lock screen to the left. (If you have lock screen widget, doing this enables the edit mode that allows you to add widgets).
- If you find the lock screen settings, select and enable lock screen widgets.
- To add a lock screen widget, tap on the “+” icon on the lock screen. If you can’t see it, swipe right on your lock screen to make it appear.
- Multiple widgets can be put on the lock screen but only one will be displayed at any given time. Swipe to move between them.
How to add a weather widget
To use a weather widget, you first need to install a weather app. Usually, a simple weather app comes pre-installed on your phone. However, there are many apps that offer better and more in-depth weather information. A good weather app is “Today Weather” for example.
- Its sleek, minimalist design and informative graphics make the app easy to navigate.
- On top of the current temperature and weather, the app provides much additional information like wind speed and direction, visibility as well as pollen count, UV index, and more.
- The app also warns you about severe weather conditions, for example heavy rain or thunderstorms.
How to add widgets on Huawai P30
The Huawei P30 uses a different method to access widgets. To add a new widget, your phone has to be unlocked and on the home screen.
- Pull two fingers together as if zooming out of a picture.
- At the bottom of the screen, you will now see the “Widget” icon. Tap on it.
- This brings you to the list of all available widgets. Below each widget is a number showing how many (size) variations of the widget there are.
- By tapping on the widget, the variations are displayed.
- Choose which variation of the widget you want and tap on it. Your widget will now appear on the home screen.
How to add a Spotify widget on Android
If you have Spotify installed on your device, you can also use the Spotify widget. Adding it to your home screen works just as described above.
- The Spotify widget allows you to play and pause the music playback
- The arrows pointing left and right allow you to skip to the previous and next song respectively.
- Above the navigation bar, the song title and the artist are displayed. Next to it is the cover of the album or single you are currently listening to.
How to add widgets in Redmi Note 5 Pro
If you’re using a Redmi Note 5 Pro, you’re in luck. Adding widgets works in the usual way.
- While on your home screen, tap and hold a free space on your screen.
- On the bottom of your screen, the “Widget” symbol will appear. Tap it to open a list of all available widgets.
- Choose the widget you want and select it by tapping and holding it.
- The list view will disappear. Now you can drag and drop the widget wherever you want it.
- Once you have positioned it the way you want it, simply let go of the widget to return to the normal home screen view.
- Your widget is now ready to be used.
Great Android widgets you need to know
There are many widgets that make a great addition to your phone. We have selected a few you should definitely take a look at.
- Tick Tick: This app allows you to create to-do lists and work with them across multiple platforms and devices. This makes it perfect for organizing tasks.
- Flashlight Widget: This simple widget allows you to easily access your phone’s built-in flashlight from your home screen.
- Owly for Twitter: If you are a frequent Twitter user, Owly is a must-have. It allows you to use the social media service from the comfort of your home screen.
How to add widgets on your computer
When it comes to computers, widgets are not a standard. While Windows 7 offered its users a variety of widgets, Windows 10 doesn’t include them. However, this does not mean you have to do without them. There are third-party programs that bring them back onto your desktop. Mac users with the macOS version Big Sur have it easier. This version of the operating system will bring widgets onto Apple’s computers.
How to add widgets to Windows 10
To use widgets under Windows 10 you will need a third-party-program. The following guide will detail how to add widgets by using “8GadgetPack”.
- Install “8GadgetPack” on your PC.
- Once the program is installed, a sidebar will appear on your PC’s screen showing some pre-selected widgets.
- To add more widgets, simply click the “+” in the top right corner of the sidebar. This will open a popup window showing all available widgets.
- To add a widget simply use drag and drop to move it from the popup window to the sidebar or anywhere else on your desktop.
How to add widgets on a Mac
The macOS version Big Sur allows the use of widgets. To add a widget, follow these steps:
- Open the notification center.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the displayed widgets and tap “Edit Widgets”.
- A new window will open, displaying all available widgets.
- Tap on the widget you want. The letters S, M, and L will appear below the widget. They signify the size of the widget.
- Choose the widget size you want, then drag and drop the widget into your notification center.
My name is Sandra Sporer. I’m a 27-year-old English Literature student with an interest in gaming, art, books (of course), cinema and history. My love for writing sparked my interest in journalism and I completed a one-year-internship at my local newspaper right after school. From 2018 onward I have been writing articles for CHIP, Focus, How2ForU and other websites.