Amazon has activated a telephone function: Alexa lights up green when you activate the new feature. We’ll show you the difference between the pulsating and rotating green glowing.
Alexa glows green: How to respond to the phone call
Amazon has activated the telephone function for the popular Amazon Echo and Echo Dot. This allows you to make calls via Alexa.
- The color ring is pulsating in green when you receive a call. You simply have to say “Alexa, answer call”.
- Before, you need to set up the phone function for your Amazon Echo. You can do this in the Alexa app.
- Tap the three bars in the top left corner. Choose Contacts, open the Settings and give Alexa permission to access your contacts.
- Even if you are making a call or are on a call, the ring will glow green.
- To make a call simply say “Alexa, call NUMBER” or “Alexa, call NAME”. However, the green light does not pulsate in this case. A green-colored ring is displayed, which rotates counterclockwise.
- As soon as you end the call, the green light turns off.
It is also possible that you are on an active Drop In. The Drop In feature allows you to give others permission to call you via echo, even if the caller does not have an Echo Dot or Amazon Echo. In the next chapter we’ll show you how to activate and disable the drop in feature.
How to use the drop in feature
To be able to communicate not only between your own devices but also with your contacts, you need to add them to your Alexa contact list.
- In the bottom menu tap Communicate. Choose Drop In and give Alexa the permissions it requires.
- A green, counter-clockwise rotating color ring will signal an active phone call. The same signal appears when Drop In is active, for example when you call your family to the dinner table via Alexa.
- By giving family and friends permission to drop in, they can reach you by call or text message, even if they don’t have an echo device, but they have to be connected to the Alexa app.
- If you’d like to deactivate the Drop In Function you simply have to deny the permission.
How to turn off the green light on Alexa
If you do not want to be disturbed by the green light you have the following options.
- Either you tell Alexa with the following command: “Alexa, do not disturb”.
- Or you activate the “do not disturb”-mode in your Alexa App.
- To do so, you have to tap the three bars in the top left corner and choose Settings, Device Settings for your Echo-Dot.
- Now you have to scroll a little until you reach General where you find Do not disturb.
- You can also easily reject the phone call with the command: “Alexa, ignore”