October is ideal for cuddly evenings with Halloween movies, which children also enjoy. In this article we will tell you which films are suitable for young and old and also promise lots of excitement and fun.
Halloween Movies for Children: Hotel Transylvania
“Hotel Transylvania” tells a story of different villains and monsters like Dracula or Frankenstein’s monster. With a lot of suspense, humor and excitement the film promises great fun for the whole family.
- The film was released in 2012 and has a length of 91 minutes. The MPAA rating is PG for some rude humor, action and scary images.
- “Hotel Transylvania” is about Dracula and his daughter Mavis, whom he tries to protect from the humans he disregards. When his daughter turns 118 years old, i.e. “monster adult”, she wants to explore the unknown world of humankind.
- Because he can no longer forbid her to do so, he arranges for different monsters to gather in a village. When Mavis arrives there and is chased away again in an evil way, believing that they are humans, she agrees with her father and stays with him in the castle.
- A short time later a young man comes into the castle, a human being. To hide the fact that a human has made it into his home, Dracula disguises him as a monster. Against the will of Dracula, Mavis falls in love with the human named Johnny. Whether he and the other monsters like it, you will find out in the movie.
- You can watch “Hotel Transylvania” on Hulu.
A popular classic: Casper
Casper, the little ghost, has been a popular figure on Halloween for many years. Although the film was made in 1995 and is therefore already 25 years old, it still inspires young and old.
- The film is rated PG for mild language and thematic elements and lasts about 100 minutes.
- Dr. James Harvey, an expert on paranormal phenomena, moves into an old villa with his curious daughter Kathleen. But they are not alone there – because four ghosts are up to no good in the big house. While one of them, Casper, wants to make friends with the people, his three related ghosts, Stretch, Stinkie and Fatso, do everything to drive the people away.
- The villa is owned by a woman named Ms. Crittenden, who Dr. Harvey had moved in without his knowledge so that he could drive away the ghosts for her. Because Ms. Crittenden is on the search for a hidden treasure. Whether she will find it, you will find out in the film.
- You can either rent or buy “Casper” on Amazon Prime or watch it on Directv or Sling.
Scary, but beautiful animation: Monster House
The animated film from 2006 promises many scary moments for the whole family.
- This film is also rated PG for scary images and sequences, thematic elements, some crude humor and brief language. If you decide to watch “Monster House”, you should plan about 90 minutes for it.
- The animated film is about the 12-year-old DJ who is very interested in the creepy house opposite his room. Again and again he observes the old Mr. Nebbercracker, who scares away every child that comes too close to the house.
- DJ is sure: The creepy house has a life of its own, but nobody wants to believe him. When he and his friend Chowder are given the opportunity to test his theory, the two come to a frightening conclusion: They urgently need to protect the children in the neighborhood and outwit the living house.
- You can rent or buy “Monster House” on Amazon Prime or on iTunes
Perfect for Halloween with kids: Monsters, Inc.
The animated film has been a classic for years. This is mainly due to the overall package it comes with. If you choose “Monsters, Inc.”, fun, excitement and thrills are to be expected, especially for the little ones.
- The film was released in 2001 and has since become one of the ten most popular computer animated films. It is rated G by the MPAA and lasts about 90 minutes.
- In the center of the film are the two monsters Sulley and Mike. The two live with many other monsters in Monstropolis and work there as energy suppliers. They provide the energy for their home by scaring children in their rooms at night and making them scream.
- But one night the two meet the special girl Boo: She is not afraid and comes, against the will of the two monsters, to Monstropolis and quickly becomes a friend of the two. She opens their eyes and shows the two monsters that children are not as dangerous, as they once believed.
- Through Boo, the monster friends realize that the laughter of children brings even more energy than the frightened screams and so the little girl changes the life of the creatures in Monstropolis.
- You can stream “Monsters, Inc.” on Disney+ or rent/buy it on Amazon Prime
Creepy family fun with “The Haunted Mansion”
“The Haunted Mansion” is a humorous horror comedy from the year 2003. Through a lot of fun and suspense this film has established itself as a classic and will certainly provide a great family evening.
- “The Haunted Mansion” has a duration of 90 minutes and is rated PG for frightening images, thematic elements and language.
- The film is about a married couple named Jim and Sara who, for professional reasons, spend a weekend with their children in an old mansion. The two are real estate agents and are considering buying the house and converting it into condominiums.
- Arriving at the mansion they are welcomed by the butler Ramsley and his boss Edward Gracey. But the family soon realizes that not everything is going well at the house. Soon they encounter ghosts, zombies and mummies and also uncover the long hidden secret of the villa.
- You can watch “The Haunted Mansion” on Disney+ or rent/buy it on Amazon Prime